Sunday, August 23, 2009

Daily Note: August 23, 2009

Well, no baby yet. But progress is being made. Despite knowing that odds were only 50%, I spent most of Friday over-interpreting symptoms and I did wake at 3am (technically Saturday morning) to a real contraction, but aside from feeling a bit nauseous and vaguely crampy, this was my only big excitement that night.

I kept my massage appointment yesterday morning and while the massage itself was heavenly, I left in just as much pain as I came in. Putting any weight on my left leg is still sending shooting pains all over the place so walking is still out of the question. Major bummer.

We decided to rally for a dinner party last night, and after pulling up (my own lumbar pillow in hand, ready to limp across the lawn to their front door- so embarrassing) we backed out at the last minute. I had been feeling increasingly nauseous, but was hoping it would fade and didn't want to be a party pooper. Thankfully, Jeff made the call for me at the last minute and we u-turned it in the direction of home. After an hour or so at home, I was just starting to feel kind of guilty about missing the party when I started feeling even more queasy and even had some contractions. Then at 8pm, I went to the bathroom and lost my mucus plug! Sorry for the gross out guys, but it had to be done. I tell you this because it totally freaked me out for a good 30 minutes and I'm so glad it didn't happen in someone else's house at a dinner party. I know that it doesn't signify immediate labor, but still ... it means things are definitely progressing down there, which is encouraging. I had a few more contractions after that, but then things sort of faded and eventually, I fell asleep. It's par for the course for me to sleep horribly these days (hence writing this post at 5am) but I could tell that every time I rolled over or got up in the night last night, that Jeff was also on high alert, waiting for me to wake him with some news. Sadly, that news didn't come. I had cramps off and on throughout the night, but that was it.

SO. The waiting continues. Perhaps for another week even. We shall see. In the meantime I feel obligated to post about every little event in order to prevent the bevy of emails and phone calls each day from all my friends and family, asking "Have you had the baby yet!?"


Lindsey said...

You are making progress! I appreciate your frequent updates because I just sit here wondering what is going on with you. Hang in there! Edie will be here soon. Thinking of you and sending you lots of good thoughts!

Mary Anne said...

I too appreciate the updates! Great strides with the mucus plug! She's totally getting ready for her big debut!!

Betsey said...

Woo-Hoo Mucus Plug! I was at Costco last Sunday when I lost mine - good times. I too appreciate the updates, I know I was on alert last weekend when I didn't see anything and contacted Kathleen to see if there was news.