1. It’s Friday the 13th!!
2. I think I saw Skipper from Sex and the City waiting for the bus on my way to work today.
3. People who ride unicycles are bozos who mistakenly think they are cool.
4. I’ve been hesitant to post this for fear of jinxing myself, but I’m feeling noticeably better this week. My old friend Barfy is still hanging around, but he chills in the next room now, rather than sitting all smashed up against me on the couch like he used to. My personality has returned to me, and so has my appetite. Hopefully Barfy isn’t reading this and planning a surprise attack just to keep me on my toes.
5. I went to my first prenatal yoga class last night. I’ve always really enjoyed yoga, but it’s been about a year since my last class, so I was a little nervous. Instead of writing an essay to summarize my experience, I’ve compiled a list of the pros and cons:
- It gave me ample time to stare at other pregnant women’s midsections without feeling creepy.
- For the first time, I felt like I was part of a group of people going through a common experience.
- The exercise factor was nice. It was hard, but not too hard. I moved for 90 minutes straight for the first time in about 4 months and didn’t die!
- The teacher played music quietly in the background almost the whole class and at one time while hanging out in pigeon pose, Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd came on.
- It was reassuring to see all these people much further along than me in good shape, but not such good shape that I felt shamed. It gave me hope that I could look and move like them in a few more months.
- There was a funny moment at the end of class where I felt like I’d regressed to naptime in kindergarten that I enjoyed. Basically, pregnant women aren’t supposed to spend a lot of time on their backs after a certain point so instead of the usual corpse pose at the end of class, the teacher encouraged us to find any comfortable position to relax. For most people this involved using their bolster as a body pillow and laying on their sides like sleepy time. Looking around at all these pregnant women who appeared to be napping was kind of amusing.
- Someone in the class was named Juniper.
- The teacher talked a little too much (and by a little too much, I mean that she talked about it at all) about the full moon on Tuesday and the impact it has on our body and spirit.
- There were multiple times when the teacher was going on and on about winter and earth and mud (?!), the heaviness of the season and its connection to our spiritual beings and I was distracted by the sheer dirty hippiness of the situation. I don’t mind a few readings and cymbal chimes and I can even enjoy a good talk about the cleansing power of breath. But this was a little wacked out.
- I am totally out of shape and got winded doing arm pinwheels. The woman 5 days past her due date right next to me was fine.
- There was a woman who looked to be over 40 wearing pigtails that kept making awkward eye contact with me during class. After I’d caught glimpse of her staring at me a few times, my eyes unwillingly kept getting drawn back to her to see if she was still staring. She was. Pretty much every time. Then I started to wonder if she thought *I* was the one staring. Because at that point, I kind of was.