Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Princess Edie

I hid Edie's "princess robe" and substituted a cheap princess themed magic want from Target. Still not super cool, but at least a more socially acceptable accessory in public places. She hasn't asked about the robe in 5 days. Success! But in the great wise words of Paula Abdul, we take two steps forward and two back.

My Mom brought some princess themed books down yesterday. OBSESSED. My child already has both books memorized, like fully. Have I mentioned that she now pretends to "read" books by essentially memorizing them and reciting the words while looking at the correct pages? I keep trying to get a video of this but the effing Flip's mantra is "Low Battery". But that's another story altogether. Anyways, I put her to bed last night and she asked for the princess books (which we had just read as bedtime stories). I made what I thought at the time was a cute decision and put her to bed WITH her books. She "read" them for 30 minutes before falling asleep and I smiled the whole time while hearing her on the monitor. As a mother, I try not to have any specific expectations for my child, but I will confess to hoping that she loves reading. It's such an important part of my life, and always has been that it would be fantastic to have that bond like I do with my parents (also avid readers).

Except at 10:15pm, this decision seemed decidedly less cute when I suddenly heard, "READ IT AGAIN MOMMY!!!" coming from Edie's room. It escalated to variations on the same theme, only louder and more frantic, punctuated by hysterical hiccups and anguished sobs - "Rocking chair! Lap! Read princess book! AGAIN!!" or "MORE READING! Princess booooooks!" I went in once to tell her that we wouldn't be reading princess books in the dark together and you can imagine how well that explanation went over. Not well. Not well at all my friends. We had the pleasure of listening to her scream for maybe 25 minutes, and then whimper and hiccup for 5-10 more. The whimpering is SO sad. Can you imagine getting that tragic over a princess book?

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I take full responsibility for the princess books. I sent them down as a joke after skyping with you guys the other day and seeing how obsessed she was with the robe and how disgusted you were with everything princess. I had gotten several boxes of free used childrens books and when I came across those I instantly thought of Edie and mailed them down as a joke. Sorry!

sandralbruton said...

Uh Oh Sarah. Jill may ask for those pink boots with white fur lining back that she gave to Hannah in retaliation for the Princess books.

Laura said...

Does Edie need a tiarra or 2? I confess 2 owning several....