Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Daily Note: May 5, 2009

Rain like we are currently having must signal the apocalypse. It’s like living inside a monsoon! I’m exhausted after getting little sleep – between tossing and turning from hip pain and the torrential downpour coming in sideways, slapping at our bedroom windows and gushing down the downspout outside our room, I woke up approximately every 30 minutes. We were both silently laying awake last night wondering whether the roof repair we did last year would hold up to this storm and whether everything in the basement was currently floating. Old habits die hard and Jeff finally got up at 4am (without my prodding!), put his coat and shoes on to tromp down to the basement (remember that you have to go outside to get to our basement). THANK GOD it was dry – so thankful for the ginormous sump pump installed after the flood of 2008. The area in our ceiling where we had the chimney flashing redone last year also appears to be dry. Anyways, I realize this is a super boring post, so I’ll try to get down to more interesting topics.

Today marks the start of week 23 for me. I had my monthly check-up yesterday and everything went well. Aside from getting to hear the heartbeat, the only other interesting factoid learned during this appointment was that she was able to measure the top of my uterus as being about 2.5 inches above my belly button. I didn’t realize it was that high, but last night I was reclining on the couch with my shirt lifted up to stare at my belly and I watched a giant lump slowly move from just below my belly button to curve up and around to the left side, stopping about an inch above and to the left of my belly button. I could feel how hard the lump was from the outside and the right side of my stomach had gone squishy, like she’d just decided she wanted to hang out higher up and on one side all of a sudden. WEIRD.

We bought our crib this week. As Culver decisions go, it was surprisingly easy. We just zipped over to Ikea, found the crib that Jeff had researched online, and bought it. It’s sitting in the box in our (dry!) basement awaiting the day we disassemble the guest room. It’s simple, cream, and slightly girly. This marks our first and only major baby purchase thus far. Oh and we also bought a giant hippo stuffed animal that we named Bertha. Maurice does not like Bertha. Strangely, Jeff really seems to have taken a liking to her.

1 comment:

lindsey. said...

Hooray for dry basements! Sorry about the rain. Wow - I cannot believe you watched her move! That is nuts. Please tell me what crib you got - we are still searching and all of the white cribs that I like at Pottery Barn are "no longer available". HELP!