Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Helicopter Crash

I heard about the helicopter crash on my way into a meeting at The Gates Foundation this morning. Since the crash happened less than a block from the Foundation offices and it was only 45 minutes post-accident when I heard the news, I went to my office instead and dialed in to the meeting. I heard about the crash all day in the news.

Unfortunately, I just learned that the survivor who crawled from his burning car after being hit by the helicopter was a friend and colleague who I worked with for 3 years at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center.  Jeff and I also went to high school with him - he graduated with Jeff. He used to hang out in my office doorway and we'd shoot the breeze about Bellingham… None of this is to make this incident about me at all - I'm just hoping to put some positive energy into the world for his recovery and I hope you'll help me. I feel really sad about it; I know people give lip service to victims all the time, but Richard really is one of the nicest and sweetest guys around. I'm so amazed he was strong enough to get himself out of that car.

So light a candle, say a prayer, or just send some positive thoughts to him, his partner, and his family. I may not be someone who prays, but I definitely believe in the power of love and positive thoughts in the universe.

2 comments:

lindsey. said...

Will do. I've been thinking about Richard since I heard about the accident. I didn't know he was a Sehome grad. I will keep sending love his way. Thanks for sharing - you wrote so beautifully about this.

Tib said...

Oh Jill, when I heard who it was I was shocked. I am so grateful that he survived and that he has such a great community to help him in the recovery process.

Definitely including my light and love his way~