Monday, October 27, 2008

Daily Note: October 27, 2008

"17 Kids and Counting" update: I watched 2 more episodes last night after posting my note. Their oldest son is getting married at the ripe old age of 20 (honestly I was shocked he was that old) and there was an entire episode focused on their "courting" process. In case you were wondering - “courting” involves holding hands and spending all their time together with at least 2 chaperones present to ensure that they save their first kiss for their wedding day. All they do is moon over each other, hold hands and repeat ‘I love you’ over and over. Honestly, how can they love each other? They don't even KNOW each other. They’ve never been alone! It sort of seemed like when he took her to his office it was the first time he’d told her what he actually did for a living. It was unclear if she did anything other than maybe spend hours scouring second hand shops for skirts from the late 1980s. I don’t know. Maybe when you’re that conservative, you’re just so happy to have found someone else with the same values that this is all that is necessary to equal love? Granted I was a big slut and lived with Jeff for 5 years before getting married, but sheesh. Isn’t there a middle ground somewhere?

The most confounding part – I’m pretty sure they’ll be really happy together. I know for damn sure that they won’t be divorcing. Which is more than I can say about some of my married friends.

PS: The entire episode I kept wondering how he managed to meet a girl that looks and dresses exactly like one of his sisters. I started to wonder, “Is this just what everyone in Arkansas dresses like?” Is the long, shapeless dress to Arkansas what the fleece is to Seattle? Then it was finally revealed: he met her at a national home schooling conference. Seriously. I wish I could plan that conference.

2 comments:

lindsey. said...

It is comforting to know that someone else is equally fascinated and appauled by this show and this family.

BTW, there as a girl in my elementary school who had been home schooled. She wore long skirts trimmed in lace a la the Duggar girls. Perhaps there is a home school uniform we are unaware of.

Are you down with Jon & Kate Plus 8? I am in awe of them as well. Not always in a good way, but awed nonetheless.

Anonymous said...

I admit my fascination for the Duggar family. Bored and grumpy, I settled down in front of these same episodes recently. I knew I had seen their special, but was not aware they had a weekly spot. David was so disgusted by the ridiculous amount of hand holding he had to leave the room, announcing he was going to throw up or poke his eyes out if he had to endure anymore. I don't believe I've ever heard "I love you" spoken more times in 30 minutes.